Tuesday 16 August 2011

THE CHILD IN ME

I trust the boy within me.
I find endearing, absorbing
His impishness
His pranks


A child is like a tender flower
Swayed by the gentle breeze
Delicate

Toddlers feet and
Crawl
Are like a native village pining
To redeem the land’s debt
A child eats clay
Rubs it like sandalwood paste

Melts at a touch
Laughs blissfully
His wadding gait
Is in itself
A work of art


When I talk to myself
About the nectar
My earliest bowl of 
Milk was
About the love that mother
Taught me as it flowed through
Her milk
About the sorrows and the joys of the world
Then
It  is this child within me
Who moves inside
A churning-stick his hand.


*** 

[Translated from Telugu by Dr. Y. Satyanarayana from the volume Sarihaddu Reekha (Nov.2002) ; poem titled : Pilladu (P.9) ]

3 comments: